Hi Miners! It's been a long time since our last hardware spotlight article. The hardware we are reviewing this time is an FPGA mining board that has been around for a long time in FPGA crypto mining community. It's the CVP-13-L by
BittWare! Without further ado, let's get started!
CVP-13-L is an FPGA mining board produced by
BittWare. CVP-13-L is one of the most powerful FPGA board available. It's using VU13P chip which is a huge FPGA chip with 1,728,000 LUTs. However, with great power comes a great price tag 😅, alas, the CVP-13-L is priced at $5,495.
Mining and Profitability
Currently, CVP-13-L can mine 17 different algorithms. Nine developers are working on this board:
The most exciting one is X16R by
Zetheron. Zetheron has released the first version of X16R, but it's still unprofitable since it's still an uncompleted version.
Check out the complete list of algorithms on the table below:
|X16R||Raven, Bitcash||Zetheron🔥||220 MH/s|
|Dmd-groestl (private)||Groestlcoin, Microbitcoin||Zetheron🔥||1.8 GH/s|
|Skunk (private)||HDAC||Zetheron🔥||1.1 GH/s|
|Vblake (private)||Veriblock||Zetheron🔥||9.6 GH/s|
|Tribus||Denarius, Scriv||Dedmaroz🎅🏻||2.4 GH/s|
|Tribus||Denarius, Scriv||Allmine⛏||2.4 GH/s|
|Neoscrypt||Feathercoin, GoByte||Allmine⛏||3.3 MH/s|
|SHA3_256||Zen Protocol||Allmine⛏||17 GH/s|
|X13SM3||Bitcoin Diamond||Allmine⛏||240 MH/s|
CVP-13-L also comes with a handy tool called
Bittworks II Toolkit LITE. You can monitor your FPGA status and change the core voltage using the
Bittworks II Toolkit LITE. You'll get this tool for free if you purchase CVP-13-L. This tool is available for Linux and Windows (Lite version). You can get it from the respective retailer you bought the CVP-13-L from.
We also did some tests on the CVP-13 by ourselves. Here are some test results:
|Hashrate||7.8-8.3 GH/s||22-23 GH/s||2.2 GH/s|
|Power||359 W||367 W||398 W|
* based on online profit calculator per Sep 12, 2019
** based on online profit calculator per Sep 23, 2019
The testing result is similar to the claimed hashrate. Some people in the FPGA Discord Community has also reported a similar hashrate.
We also did some testing with
Zetheron's X16R. \We got the Zetheron's X16R working on our CVP-13!
You can see more details on our test results here.
- 🐘 Powerful VU13P Chip. VU13P is 46% bigger than VU9P. It's able to fit more cores into the chip, which means it can produce more hashes than BCU1525, BTU9P, and other VU9P boards.
- 👨💻 Developers Working on CVP-13. A lot of renowned developers like
Allmineare working to make bitstreams for this board. There's an upcoming X16 algorithm for CVP-13 coming soon!
- 💧 Built-in Waterblock. CVP-13 is ready to be water-cooled.
- 🛠 Tools for Monitoring. You can use
Bittworks II Toolkit LITEto configure voltage and monitor the CVP-13. This tool is convenient for monitoring and controlling the CVP-13.
- 🤝 Trusted Manufacturer.
BittWarehas been around for over than 25 years.
- 🔬 Unoptimized Bitstream. Some of the available bitstream for CVP-13-L is unoptimized, so the device hasn't reached its maximum potential yet.
- 💸 Long ROI Time. As mentioned before, some of the available bitstreams are not at the maximum hardware potential. Resulting in a long ROI time for this device.
- ↔️ USB Connection Issue. Some CVP-13-L users experienced some issue with the USB connection. Error rates are higher than expected because the USB serial buffer of CVP-13-L is smaller than VU9P boards. Future bitstream builds are supposed to fix this issue, or you can use a shorter and better quality USB cable.
CVP-13-L Board Specification:
- Virtex UltraScale+ VU13P
- 2Gbit Flash memory for storing FPGA bitstreams
- 2 DIMM sites
- PCIe interface x16 Gen1, Gen2, Gen3
- USB interface: BMC, FPGA UART, FPGA JTAG
- 4 QSFP28 cages
- 2 UltraPort SlimSAS
- Board Management Controller
- External 8-pin power connector
More details: CVP-13 Datasheet
Your Guide to FPGA Mining
BittWare is headquartered in Concord, New Hampshire, United States. For over twenty-five years, the company has designed and deployed high-end board-level solutions that significantly reduce technology risk and time-to-revenue for their OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. The company provides enterprise-class accelerator products by leveraging the latest industry-leading FPGA technology from Altera and Xilinx. They are based upon industry-standard COTS form factors including PCIe, VPX / OpenVPX, AMC, XMC, and FMC (VITA 57).
BittWare provides modified solutions and licensed designs when it is not possible to use industry-standard boards. These programmable products dramatically increase application performance and energy efficiency while reducing total cost of ownership.
BittWare serves customers of many sectors ranges from commercial, broadcast and video, government, financial, mil/aero to instrumentation. Currently, The company is penetrating the cryptocurrency mining market through CVP-13 boards featuring Xilinx VU13P FPGA chip.